Here’s How to Use Your Steam Cleaner WiselyAugust 11, 2019
If you are after cleaning without using chemicals, it is time that you know more about steam cleaner https://cleanhomeguide.com/best-steam-mop-for-tile-buyers-guide/. Before anything, you should understand how it works so you will know how to use it wisely.
How does steam cleaner work?
Steam cleaners have tanks where you put tap water. The water will be heated until its boiling point so it can force out pressurized steam through the nozzle or other attachments. This vapor is strong enough to loosen the dirt and kill 99.9% of germs and dirt. Aside from being a “green” option, steam cleaners also ensure the wellness of residents.
There is no suction required for the steam cleaner to be effective and because of the high-heat moisture, it dries quickly leaving the surface sanitized and shiny. When it comes to its applications, steam cleaners work on impervious surfaces like floors (whether wood, vinyl, laminate or tile), window treatments, upholsteries, and mattresses.
So, how to use steam cleaners wisely?
Typically, residential steam cleaners last about 5 years while industrial steam cleaners last for 8 years. Your goal here is to keep your steam cleaner in good condition so it can last more than its lifespan. To extend its life, here’s how to use your steam cleaner wisely:
- Check the tap water: steam cleaners are designed to use tap water but if you live in an area with hard water, it can potentially damage the tank. The best thing to do is to fill the tank with 50% tap water and 50% distilled water. This will help your system avoid mineral deposits that can significantly reduce its cleaning effectiveness.
- Do not put additives: steam cleaners are chemical-free, which means you do not need to put detergents, perfumes or other additives thinking that you will give it an extra boost. Unless specified by the manufacturer, you should avoid adding anything. For the steam cleaner to work effectively, you should let the heat work as it is.
- Clean steam mops: if you have steam mops, it is recommended that you remove the water from the tank after every use and let it dry completely. For soiled mop pads, you must wash and dry it. If your steam mop is designed with filters, you need to change it as necessary.
- Drain the water: if you are using steam cleaners with boilers, you need to drain the water every two to four weeks. This can help protect boilers against the formation of scale.
- Wear PPE (Personal Protective Equipment): before you start, you should wear PPE because safety should always be considered in whatever activity. You should consider protective clothing as well as goggles as a start.
- Always consult the manual: for other tips, you need to do your research. There are many online references you can consider. If you do not want to do this, at least read your manual before operating and performing any form of maintenance.